October 20, 2018

Lymphoma or other cancers: Swelling of lymph nodes

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lymphoma or other cancers: Swelling of lymph nodes

Patient: I have what I think they are swollen lymph nodes for a month in the groin and submandibular areas. At first there were some matted ones in the groin and then another one appeared there after 3 weeks. Today I also felt a little swelling in the neck (sub-mandibular). One of the enlarged lymph nodes in the groin seems a little larger now, but I am not sure. I am a 20 year old female. I am very, very concerned. Thank you so much.

Doctor: The lymph nodes enlargement that you are experiencing could be due to variety of factors. Some of the causes range from a systemic infection like infectious mononucleosis or a local infection which is draining into the lymph nodes or it could be due to lymphoma. Since they are getting larger you need to see a physician in person to determine the exact cause and for further follow up and tests like a biopsy. I understand your worry but there is no way of telling exactly as to why the lymph nodes are swollen at this point without a thorough physical examination.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No