Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Malaria Malarone question

Malaria Malarone question

Patient: Hi, I’m going to Asia next week and I’m wondering if it would be safe to only take a Malarone tablet every two days? I hear there can be severe side affects from using them and they’re also very expensive.(Sorry if the category is wrong, there’s nothing on vaccinations or Malaria.)

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride) is a medication that is used to protect a gainst malaria when travelling to an endemic country. This medication should started 2 days before travelling to a malaria endemic country and taken every day while there, and for seven days after returning. The medication should be taken the same time every day with food to prevent stomach irritation. We do not recommend changing the prescribed dosage as its protection against Malaria may not be conferred. Should you develop any side effects such as a skin rash, shortness of breath, chest pain, or dizziness please seek medical attention immediately.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com