Male age 30 Rapid hair loss.

Q: I'm a 30 year old white male and I'm losing my hair at an alarming rate. It's coming out in clumps of hundreds of strands per day. Thereis a history of hair loss in my family, but none of the males lost hair before age 40. Could this be a chemical imbalance or something like that?

Symptoms:  Rapid hair loss.

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.
Hair loss is a common concern. It could be hereditary, medical condition or side-effect of certain medication. Losing about 100 hair per day is a normal count and must not be considered alarming. losing 300 or more hair per day needs to be addressed immediately. The best way to diagnose hair loss would be if you find loads of hair on your pillow after waking up in the morning, this could be the 1st sign of hair loss.
I recommend a visit to the physician if you have noticed a sudden hair loss as this could be the sign of an underlying medical condition like thyroid dysfunction, scalp infection, alopecia areata ( auto-immune condition, where body's immune system attacks the hair follicles) and other skin infections. Treatment would depend on the diagnosis and may include antibiotics, steroids, or other medications.
Hope this information was useful.