Male Urine Split Stream

Patient: I am a 28 year old male. I sometimes have a split stream in my urine towards the end or even at the beginning of when I go pee. This has gone on for 2-3 years. I have never seen any visible blood in the urine. I take allergy medication every other day for the past 4-5 years.

Symptoms: Split stream, sometimes of feeling of not fully emptying bladder

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Split stream of urine can happen occ asionally. If it is not associated with other symptoms like burning or hematuria, then there is nothing to worry about. It is possible in cases of UTI or bladder infection, so just prophylactically, you can get your urine examined as well as get a urine culture done. Especially in chronic infections, urine routine can be normal, but culture reveals growth of the organism. Accordingly, appropriate antibiotic can be started.You mentioned sometimes it seems like your bladder is not completely empty. That can again indicate a chronic cystitis or bladder infection. So urine culture will be helpful.A good choice antibiotic in such cases would be Tab. Cotrimoxazole ( TMP-SMX ), to be taken twice daily for 7-10 days.So kindly get the tests done and take the medicines if advised by your Physician.Hope this was helpful.Regards.