Mallet finger ,Surgery or Splinting?

Patient: I have had tumour excision surgery from the dorsal aspect of my hand just over the DIPJ on my RH middle finger and have also developed a mallet deformity (from a previous surgery). I have been given a thermoplastic splint, but the edge of this cuts into my rotation flap which was used to cover the defect from the excision. I also don’t think I can wear the splint for the three months I need to because I’m a student, aged 17, need to write and it just gets in the way of everything. I’ve read about K-wires for treating this deformity…do you think that they are a good idea in my case?

Doctor: Splinting quite often effectively treats mallet finger. However, surgery is preferred for persons who for one reason or another are unable to wear a splint for the requisite 6-12 weeks. If it is truly difficult for you to wear the splint, then surgical correction is indicated. As you have discovered K-wires are often used to treat this problem.