Mans Boobs (Gynecomastia)

Patient

Q: My son{15} is very self consious of his breasts. he won't even go out in public. why does he have fatty breasts and what can be done about it?

Doctor

A:   Your son most probably has Gynecomastia. This is a condition in which firm breast gland tissue forms in males. The breast tissue is usually less than 1-1/2 inches across and is located directly under the nipple. Gynecomastia may be present on one side or on both sides. This condition may make the breast tender.
In most cases, no treatment is needed.I suggest seeing your family doctor who will probably want to check the size of your sons breast tissue every few months. In 90% of teenage boys, gynecomastia goes away in less than 3 years.
Sometimes the problem can be solved if you stop taking a medicine that is causing gynecomastia or stop using an illegal drug that is causing the problem.
Occasionally, medicines may be used to treat gynecomastia, especially if tenderness is a problem. The medicine will make the extra breast tissue go away. Rarely, surgery may be necessary to remove the extra breast tissue. If gynecomastia is caused by a disease or a tumor, treatment is necessary. If gynecomastia is caused by a disease, the disease itself will need to be treated.
Hope this helps.