Marathon / Cross country runner with knee pain

Patient

Q: Just received my MRI report for a continual Knee pain I am experiencing, I however do not understand the medical language used in the report. Anxious to understand my problem , I would appreciate if you could explain in simple non medical language whether I have a serious condition and whether surgery would be required. Much Appreciated. MRI Report - Thank you for referring this patient for NIR scanning of her left knee. l note the history of a recent injury during marathon training. The examination was performed on our high field open MR scanner Where a Combination of sagittal, axial and coronal T1, T2 and fat suppression STIR sequences has been obtained. In the medial compartment there is some degenerative signal Change in the posterior horn and mid third of the meniscus, and on the coronal views there is the impression of a small area of rather more discrete horizontal signal which may extend to the inferior articular surface. There is a little early medial extrusion. In the lateral Compartment the meniscus appears to be generally within normal limits, and no major meniscal tear is seen. The principal ligaments if the knee joint are well visualized and appear intact. In the medial compartment there is an area of chondral irregularity in relation to the inferomedial aspect of the medial femoral condyle, but no major full thickness chondral loss or significant subcortical oedema is evident. In the lateral compartment again the articular cartilage appears to be generally within normal limits and no major osteochondral lesion is seen. Axial and sagittal views show that there is some moderate patellofemoral OA with Chondral thinning mainly in relation to the undersurface of the lateral facet, and there appears to be a modest Chondral cleft with some early subchondral oedema here. Additionally there is a rather prominent medial parapatellar plica. The tibial tuberosity offset is less than 10 mm. There is some modest oedema in the infrapateiiar fat pad, but apart from a moderate effusion there is no other major feature for Comment.
Conclusion: No definite meniscal tear is seen but I am suspicious about the anterior horn of the medial meniscus. There is chondral irregularity in relation to the inferior aspect of the medial femoral condyle, together with some moderate patellofemoral OA and a rather thickened medial patellar plica.

Symptoms:  Pain in the knee when walking and in the night
Doctor