Marginal Cord Insertion

Q: I was diagnosed with marginal cord insertion at 24 weeks I go back at 32 weeks for another sonogram I am now 30 weeks pregnant but I also have preeclampsia what are the risk, what can happen, and will my doctor recommend inducing me early as 37 weeks being that I have preeclampsia also which affects the already at risk placenta???

Symptoms:  Pains in upper right abdomen, feeling unwell.

A:   Hi,
When the umbilical cord inserts on the margin of the placenta rather than center it is called marginal insertion of the cord.
Usually, it is not having much clinical significance.
Rarely it can lead to velamentous cord insertion, where umbilical cord inserts into the fetal membranes outside the placental margin.
It can lead to complications like intra-uterine growth restriction of baby, if vessels are low lying that can lead to vasa previa etc.
Usually, treatment options are depends on the location of velamentous vessels.
If vessels are in the lower segment, caesarean section may be advised to avoid the risks of a vasa previa.
Marginal insertion of the cord itself may not indicate early termination, but in uncontrolled preclampsia pregnancy can be terminated early.
Take care.