Marijuana for teenager?


Q: I live in CA, am i eligible to get medical marijuana? im 14 years old, so is it even legal here in california? the reasons i think it could help me are:

-i have a stuttering problem. when speaking in front of people it comes on, about 1 in 12 words i stutter. when im with friends, about 1 in 40 words i stutter. when im with parents, about 1 in 30 words i stutter. there are a few words i have a lot of trouble with constantly, such as my name, "trevor", "senate", "senators", "mustard" etc.
-depression. i feel like i'm worthless, nobody likes or respects me, and that i will always be alone forever.
-anxiety. i have bad social anxiety. i hate talking to friends parents and going to friends homes, i get really nervous (see #1). also, if i'm called on in class, i get super scared also (SEE #1). family parties stress me out really bad.
-asperger syndrome. minor, but still effects me (#3).
-i get writer's cramp more often than my peers

do you think it would help?

Symptoms:  Anxiety, stuttering, deppression

A:   Hello,
Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Medical marijuana is illegal in the state of california. So there is no such options available. However your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from depression and this requires treatment with antidepressants like fluoxetine or escitalopram or venlafaxine etc. Most of the symptoms that you have stated (social anxiety , panic, social withdrawal, sadness etc) recover with the treatment. Stuttering will require treatment with behavioural therapy. Along with relaxations therapy, behavioural therapy is effective in reducing stuttering. These treatment options are good and always safer than marijuana.
Do meet your doctor and discuss these treatment options.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!

Related Q&A

Q: Hi, I recently had more depression and went into insomnia, i consulted a doctor and he adviced me for a blood test. ...

Q: Hi.. So I been extemely sick from stopping Celexa 40 mg cold turkey. I started to get exteme panic attack which send ...

Q: I have been taking the anti depressant drug citalopram for a couple of months now but haven't been feeling myself on ...

Q: I therapeutically take Xanax for anxiety and depression. Recently I ingested roughly 30mg on Xanax and the typical th...

Q: I am feeling very depressed because of the way I am being treated at work. I want to go on a medical leave of absence.


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon