Marijuana Use in Pregnancy: Is it Detectable in the Baby's Blood?

Q: I am 37 weeks pregnant and there has been alot of stipulation on whether or not they drug test newborns. i took a couple of drags of marijuana. i dont smoke on a daily basis and im wondering if it will be in the babys system after birth. i hope you can help me. thanks

A:   Yes, there is a fair chance it will be in the baby’s system after birth. After marijuana is being smoked it is rapidly distributed to various parts of the body and it can also cross the placenta. It may be detected in the blood even after ~1 month from last use. The amount (heavy users, regular, or occasional) of marijuana being smoked will also affect its being detectable in the blood. You’re probably a regular user, I presume, so there is a possibility that it will be detectable in your blood (and your baby’s blood) even over a month of last use. Take care always.