Marijuana Use with Hormonal Birth Control

Patient : What are the health risks of marijuana use while on Nuva Ring?
Symptoms:  None
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com Smoking in any form is harmful , especially tobacco when you are usin g hormonal contraception as it increases the cardiac risks. However it is debated that Marijuana is not tobacco and dont really have an effect on the effectiveness of hormonal contraception , in your case NUVA RING. There are mixed and inadequate evidence studies done and mixed opinions among medical fraternity about its safety during contraception. I would advise to avoid marijuana along with contraceptive usage and if possible use a barrier add back contraception if you choose to continue. I hope i have answered your query. regards