Marijuana Use with Hormonal Birth Control

Patient

Q: What are the health risks of marijuana use while on Nuva Ring?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

Smoking in any form is harmful , especially tobacco when you are using hormonal contraception as it increases the cardiac risks. However it is debated that Marijuana is not tobacco and dont really have an effect on the effectiveness of hormonal contraception , in your case NUVA RING.
There are mixed and inadequate evidence studies done and mixed opinions among medical fraternity about its safety during contraception.
I would advise to avoid marijuana along with contraceptive usage and if possible use a barrier add back contraception if you choose to continue.

I hope i have answered your query.
regards