Marinol for non-AIDS related weight loss

Q: Can Marinol be prescribed for non-AIDS related weight gain? I am losing weight at a rapid speed because I have no appetite. I have no medical problems to support the weight loss other than war-related PTSD/MST and stress...there is nothing physically wrong I mean). I cannot smoke marijuana (the ONLY thing I have found that gives me an appetite) for fear of prosecution because it is illegal in Kentucky. My friend who is a nurse told me about Marinol but I am afraid to ask a doctor outright. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Symptoms:  30+ pounds weight loss in a span of 6 months and progressively losing. 5ft, 11in tall and weight is 130

A:   Thank you for your question. No, marinol (dronabinol) is only approved for anorexia associated with weight loss in AIDS patients and for nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. There are medications that are used to treat depression and PTSD such as mertazipine or olanzepine which also has an effect at stimulating appetite. We believe that you should be honest with your doctor in expressing your concers regarding your weight loss, lack of appetite and PTSD. Your doctor will try their level best to help you in a holistic manner rather than just your lack of appetite. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting