Mastitis

Patient: Yesterday I was given an antibiotic for mastitis. At that time I had fever, chills, and breast pain. I did not have any redness in the breast. This evening after 4 doses of the antibiotic I have noticed redness on my breast. I have taken percocet for the pain as well as pain from my cesarean. Is this normal for the redness to appear even though I am on the antibiotic or is it a signal of somthing bigger going on?

Doctor: Hello, I understand your concern about redness on your breast due to Mastitis. Mastitis is an infection of the fatty tis sue of the breast that causes inflammation, and because of the inflammation the skin turns red and swells. After your treatment, the inflamed tissue could take a little more to return to its normal state. Applying moist heat to the infected breast tissue for 15 to 20 minutes four times a day might also help reducing the inflammation but please comply with your antibiotic treatment.