Mastitis without breastfeeding?

Patient

Q: I have a lump on my right boob that I just noticed today. The area by the lump is red and it hurts when I put pressure on it. Just standing it feels slightly weird but not painful. I have not breastfed in 2 years so I'm sure its not due to breastfeeding. It is christmas eve, no doctors office is open, I have family in town and I am leaving to go out of town in a few days for a week. Is this something that needs to be seen, and if so, how long can it wait?

Symptoms:  Painful lump, redness around lump
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com
If the lump has developed in few days and you have noticed it today then it indicates that it is an acute injury probably a constant pressure injury which has caused the local fat tissue injury leading to inflammation and pain or it is probably a folliculitis which has developed over 2 days and inflammatory reaction has caused a lump to form.
It is definitely not mastitis as you have not been breast feeding and thus it doesn't involve localized collection of breast milk forming a galactocele which has got infected. Hence it is suggested to observe for 24 hrs to look for any increase in size and redness/pain, if it occurs so , then its an infection and you would have to take a course of antibiotics to treat it through a prescription by a physician.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you good health,,
regards