Mastoid pain: possible causes

Patient : I experience severepain in the lower part of left side of head, back of ear. The pain lasts for very few seconds. It is a severeexcruciating pain from within. I experienced it 2 times in the last week.It is localised to a very small region, about 3cms lateral to mastoid process. I am worried about it? Should I consult a doctor? Is it necessary to consult a doctor soon? Should I go for an EEG?
Doctor :    If the pain that you described is not accompanied by any other symptoms as dizziness, seizures, local redness, drainage e from the ear, fever, goes away spontaneously, is not radiated, just localized, we can rule out the primary cause of Mastoid pain which is Mastoiditis from a middle ear infection. However, we have other possible causes as:  referred pain from the jaw joint, neuralgia of a sensory nerve in the ear area.  It could also be musculoskeletal pain of the temporalis or neck muscles.  I would recommend a check by your doctor to make sure that you don't have any other reason for this.