Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > May a fall with your arm in extension cause a rotator cuff tear?

May a fall with your arm in extension cause a rotator cuff tear?

Patient: Can a fall cause a tear in your shoulder for I fell at work and I try to stop my fall by extending my right arm out.

Doctor: Yes, it is possible that a fall may cause  an acute  injury of the shoulder, particularly dislocation, fracture or lesi esion of the rotator cuff, which is a group of tendons that support the shoulder. These tendons can be injured also during weight lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, after repetitive use over a long time or suffer degenerative changes with the aging process. Also a fall with the arm extended trying to stop the fall with the hand is a common mechanism on producing Scaphoid fractures of the hand and wrist in young adults.