Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > May have swallowed a piece of glass.

May have swallowed a piece of glass.

Patient: I baked chicken last night and my roommate accidentally boiled the baking dish while it was sitting on the top of the stove to cool off. I moved it to the back burner and a few minutes later it exploded everywhere. I rinsed off the chicken really well. I just ate a piece of the chicken, didn’t see or feel anything, but I noticed I have a small cut on the roof of my mouth. Should I be worried about the glass that I probably swallowed? I’m assuming it was a tiny piece if I didn’t detect it when chewing.

 

 

Symptoms: Just the small cut in the roof of my mouth.

 

 

Doctor: Hi. Thank you for writing to us.If the piece of glass was really small, it may pass through the body without any con sequence. It is also very difficult to find a very small piece of glass.If you start getting any symptoms of vague pain, see a Doctor immediately. I expect that you will pass the glass safely and will not know about it.All the best. Wish you a quick recovery.

 


Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment