May have swallowed a piece of glass.

Patient

Q: I baked chicken last night and my roommate accidentally boiled the baking dish while it was sitting on the top of the stove to cool off. I moved it to the back burner and a few minutes later it exploded everywhere. I rinsed off the chicken really well. I just ate a piece of the chicken, didn't see or feel anything, but I noticed I have a small cut on the roof of my mouth. Should I be worried about the glass that I probably swallowed? I'm assuming it was a tiny piece if I didn't detect it when chewing.

Symptoms:  Just the small cut in the roof of my mouth.
Doctor

A:   Hi. Thank you for writing to us.

If the piece of glass was really small, it may pass through the body without any consequence. It is also very difficult to find a very small piece of glass.

If you start getting any symptoms of vague pain, see a Doctor immediately. I expect that you will pass the glass safely and will not know about it.

All the best. Wish you a quick recovery.