Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > May I use growth hormone to get taller?

May I use growth hormone to get taller?

Patient: I’m exactly 182 cm , i wanted to get more taller and lose some fats , i referred to Growth Hormone . would it do the job ? and what are the side effects ? what is the recommended use if i going to take it ? any other solutions ?

Doctor: If your height at this point is normal according to your age, it is not recommended to use HGH. Somatropin or HGH(Genotr opin, Genotropin Miniquick, Humatrope, Norditropin, Norditropin Cartridge, Norditropin Nordiflex Pen, Nutropin, Nutropin AQ, Omnitrope, Saizen, Serostim, Tev-tropin, Zorbtive) is used to treat growth failure in children and adults who lack natural growth hormone, and in those with chronic kidney failure, Noonan syndrome, Turner syndrome, short stature at birth with no catch-up growth, and other causes. Somatropin is also used to prevent severe weight loss in people with AIDS, or to treat short bowel syndrome. Possible side effects include: allergic reactions, hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, nausea, vomiting, sweating, fever, fast heartbeat, yellowing of the skin or eyes; sudden and severe pain behind your eyes, vision changes; increased thirst and urination; redness, soreness, swelling, skin rash, itching, pain, or bruising where the medicine was injected. Overdose can cause tremors or shaking, cold sweats, increased hunger, headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, fast heartbeat, and nausea. Long-term overdose may cause excessive growth and deformities.