MCH level - part of a complete blood count

Patient

Q: I had some blood work done and recieved the results MCH was out of range 34.3, and MPV of 6.7. Should I be concerned about these results. I read something about Pernicious Anemia.

Doctor

A:   Mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH) is a calculation of the average amount of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin inside a red blood cell. The normal MCH level is between 26 and 33 picograms, however laboratories vary slightly in their reference ranges, so it is necessary to check the reference range in your specific laboratory. If your MCH is slightly high, it may just represent larger than average RBC’s. It is impossible to interpret this isolated lab finding, without the entire CBC and haemoglobin level. I would advise discussing this result with your family physician.