Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Me and my boyfriend just started having sex

Me and my boyfriend just started having sex

Patient: Me and my boyfriend just started having sex for the first time.. He did not go fully in but he went enough where it started to hurt.. I started bleeding but only a little dab.. when we have “sex” now the tip just goes in.. I’m confused to as if I’m still a Virgin or not? And if my hymen tore

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.A virgin is someone who has never had sex, but people define “sex” differe ntly. The hymen is a thin, fleshy tissue that stretches across part of the opening of the vagina. The hymen can be stretched open the first time a girl has vaginal sex, which might cause some pain or bleeding. And despite what you may have heard, the hymen cannot grow back once it’s been stretched open. Some women have pain and bleeding the first time they have vaginal sex (penis-in-vagina) or fingers inserted into their vaginas. This happens because some people naturally have more of a hymen than others.True that rarely some penises won’t fit comfortably into some vaginas, the vagina can stretch a lot. Most women’s vaginas are between three and seven inches long.Hope this helps.