Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Measles Vaccine and Pregnancy

Measles Vaccine and Pregnancy

Patient: I just found out that i am pregnant. i had the measles vaccine a few weeks and did not know i was pregnant then. could this effect the fetus?

Doctor: Usually, live-virus vaccines are contraindicated for pregnant women because of the theoretical risk of transmission of t he vaccine virus to the fetus. If a live-virus vaccine was inadvertently given to you within 4 weeks from becoming pregnant follow up for possible effects on the fetus must be needed.On the other hand, No evidence exists of risk from vaccinating pregnant women with inactivated virus or bacterial vaccines or toxoids. I would suggest you to get information about the type of vaccine you were given and comply with your pre natal follow up visits.

View all posts