Measuring to Small for Dates

Patient

Q: I am 33 weeks pregnant but only measuring 25cm. is this normal. i was due to go for another scan in two weeks but the doctor brought it forward by a week.

Doctor

A:   I am very sorry and I understand your worry about your baby’s condition. In pregnancies were the fetus weight is below the 10th percentile for its gestational age, doctors might be aware of the possibility of Intrauterine Growth Retardation or IUGR.  Generally this diagnosis is suspected when there is a discrepancy of > 4 between the fundal height (in cm) and the gestational age (in weeks).
There could be many causes of IUGR, the baby could not get enough nutrition due to Heart disease in the mother, High altitudes, Multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets, etc.), Placenta problems which is one of the most common, Preeclampsia or eclampsia. Some risk factors are Alcohol abuse, Drug addiction, High blood pressure or heart disease, Poor nutrition which is one of the most common and Smoking. However if the mother is small it may be normal for her to have a small fetus, but this is not due to IUGR.
I suggest you to comply with your pre natal controls to monitor your baby’s growth, talk to your doctor about the possibility of your baby having IUGR, I wish you the best.