Mechanical Back pain after lifting weights

Patient

Q: About 2 months ago I lifted weights and performed the "dead lift" with out proper perform or technique so i got hurt. I would say I strained the muscle. To this day I still feel discomfort on my lower back. On a scale 1. to 10. I would say its about a 3. When sitting or laid down I do not feel a thing as well as when I do cradio like running or walking. Though after a awhile of performing those exercises I do feel discomfort. I feel more the discomfort when I am standing for a long periods of time. In the picture that i uploaded are the areas where I feel the discomfort. I hope its not a herniated disc. I forgot to mention I had x-rays done and everything seems normal. The feeling i would describe as a tight feeling around the red area of the picture (my lower back). thanks!

Doctor

A:    In the view of your X-rays studies came out normal and  you have a previous history of lifting weights in the wrong way the most likely diagnosis would be: mechanical low back pain (LBP), which  is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 4-6 weeks. The suggested strategy in your case would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: teach you flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. Also is very important to keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Sleep with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side, this may increase comfort, and when lying on your back put a pillow under your knees. When picking up objects from the ground, bend your knees. Keep your weight under control, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine. Just following these easy recommendations you will decrease the chances to have episodes of low back pain in the future.