Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Mechanical Low Back Pain: What can I do If I dont have Health Insurance?

Mechanical Low Back Pain: What can I do If I dont have Health Insurance?

Patient: I have hurt my lower back (3-wks ago) pain still badstanding & sitting very bad.back pills sometimes work.will this go away, or can i do -or-see someone .i’m out of work with no coverage.

Doctor: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US p opulation, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Sometimes it may complicate with a sciatic nerve inflammation and the healing process takes a little longer.The suggested conservative treatment would be: a physical therapy program aimed to: control the pain and the inflammatory process, relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. The main goal of physical therapy in persons with post-traumatic acute back pain is not to increase strength but to achieve adequate pain control. Acetaminophen (“Tylenol”) remains one of the best first-line treatments of acute LBP. It is generally well tolerated, has few adverse effects or drug reactions with other medications, and is inexpensive. You can also try anti inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”).

View all posts