Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Medial meniscus injury

Medial meniscus injury

Patient: Hi Doctors, I have recently been diagnosed with an injury to my medial meniscus meniscocapsular complex medial. My knee hurts, swells and feels sore when I stand and walk for long periods. Whenever I bend my knee, it has this clicking sound. I have no idea what this diagnosis is about and would like to seek your advise if there are treatments for this diagnosis. This diagnosis really worries me. Thank you.

Symptoms: Knee swelling, feels sore, ache in mid-knee region

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”.A home physical therapy program or simply rest with activity ity modification, ice, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) is the non-operative management of possible meniscus tears.Most meniscus tears do not heal without intervention. If conservative treatment does not allow the patient to resume desired activities, his or her occupation, or a sport, surgical treatment is considered.Surgical treatment of symptomatic meniscus tears is recommended because untreated tears may increase in size and may abrade articular cartilage, resulting in arthritis.Arthroscopic pullout repair of a medial meniscus root tear provided better results.Wish you a speedy recovery