Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Medical Abortion and its Effect on Future Fertility

Medical Abortion and its Effect on Future Fertility

Patient: Hello, I am 19 years of age and I am currently studying. Recently, I have gotten into a situation where an unintended pregnancy have occured. I am currently 9 weeks in. Felling confused as to the decision being made, I hope that if I do choose to proceed with an abortion that it would not affect my future fertility as I would be very much interested to conceive in time to come. My question would be whether should I choose to go for a medical abortion, whether there would be any severe effects on future fertility? Thank you for your time.

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Before planning for abortion you have to get examined by yo ur doctor and have to undergo ultrasound.Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, to estimate the gestational age and to rule out ectopic pregnancy.After that according to the gestational age you can choose the method for abortion with your doctors advice.Medical termination with tablets is possible up to eight weeks of gestation.After eight weeks sometimes surgical procedure like D&C may be needed.Undergoing medical abortion or D&C in strict aseptic precautions may not affect future fertility.But rarely complications like pelvic infection, uterine adhesions etc can occur due to D&C, which may affect the fertility.So, better to be careful and take early decision to avoid complications.Take care.