Medical contraindications to driving

Patient

Q: Is it true that after you have been on a ventilator, you are never supposed to drive again. There is nothing wrong with me now. What are the known medical contraindictions to driving?

Doctor

A:   Its a myth. Your capacity to drive depends on the underlyling condition you have been treated for and the extent of recovery. Any marked decrease in the ability of the lungs to provide sufficient oxygen to the brain can lead to impaired judgment, reduced concentration, slow response time and physical weakness. All medical conditions that interfere with safe operation of the vehicle on road may restrict one from driving. This may include visual or hearing limitation, severe cardiac, respiratory disability, epilepsy, psychological disorders etc.