Medical management of High blood pressure.

Patient

Q: This question is actually about my husband. His Dr. has prescribed Amlodipine AND Lisinopril should he be taking TWO High Blood pressure meds??? Thank you, Barbara

Doctor

A:   The number of medications that one is prescribed to control high blood pressure depends on many factors like the level of everday bp along with the control achieved by single /mulitiple drug regimes. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker and Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor both of which regulate bp very well. Lisinopril has been proven in research studies to decrease the long term mortality due to high bp. Thus it is very normal for a patient to be on two or more BP meds at a time. If the bp comes under control or stays low is less than 100/60 then one of the medications could be reduced in dosage. All the best.