Medication safe to take while pregnant

Patient : I'm 8 weeks pregnant and sick. Is Top Care Chest Congestion and Cough Relief DM safe to take?
Symptoms:  Coughing, sneezing, chest congestion, nasal congestion
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Top Care Chest Congestion and Cough Relief DM contains Guaife nesin and Dextromethorphan. These drugs belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA. Means animal studies have shown few side effects on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking. Using the medicine for short period of time may not lead to much problems. You can go for the medicine as possibly benefits overweigh the risks here. But you have to use any medicine with your doctor's advice only. Take care.