Medication side effects

Patient

Q: I visited a TMJ specialist for jaw pain. The Dr. prescribed medications for pain, muscle spasms and inflammation. He prescribed Nortriptyline, which I took nightly. I have experienced extreme behavior changes; irritability, mood swings, hostility, panic, irrational thoughts, sweating and ringing in the ears. I have later found out that this is an anti- depressant medication. My question is, should this have been prescribed for jaw pain? It seems odd for a TMJ specialist to prescribe an anti-depressant for pain, isn’t this off-label?

Symptoms:  Irritability, mood swings, hostility, panic, irrational thoughts, sweating and ringing in the ears
Doctor