Medifast diet opinion by your doctors

Patient : Ive been reading lots of information on the internet about this medifast diet. Does the diet really work? There are so many different variations of information out there. Would your team at AskTheDoctor.com suggest going on this diet for a overweight 31 year old man.
Doctor :   Medifast is popular a diet plan, which consists of pre-planned meals. Medifast is portion-controlled, nutritionally bal anced,  low-fat, diet program that helps in faster weight loss and is more effective than traditional diet plans. The Medifast meals come in individual packets that is mixed with water and microwaved and is available in a wide variety of foods and flavors. The Medifast plan provides 800 to 1,000 calories a day, which makes it a "very low calorie" diet, which should only be undertaken with a physician's supervision. Very low calorie diets can lack important nutrients, which is why medifast provides a variety of meals. I would recommend that you consult your doctor or dietitian before starting on the medifast diet.