Meds are only lasting 3 and a half hours.

Q: So I am currently on Adderal XR 20 MG with a kicker of 10 MG XR and I find the 20 MG does not last near as long as it should. While it should last 5-8 hours I find it only lasts 3 at most. (I know this because when it starts wearing off I begin to feel hungry after the appetite suppression is finished within 15 minutes I find myself unable to concentrate again.) I had already talked to my doctor about this issue which is when I got the kicker. I had originally asked for an increase in dosage or perhaps a different prescription such as Vyvance, and we eventually decided on the kicker. However, during this process it felt like my doctor was getting short with me, which I attribute to their assumption that I was a drug seeker. I am a 20 year old college student and I most definitely am not a drug seeker, nor am I selling my drugs! I went through a long arduous process to get diagnosed and I don't want to lose the medicine that is finally helping me with a lot of my issues in school. With the kicker I can get the effects to last 5 hours if I space things properly but there are times this is not enough (Such as when there are exams and a large amount of studying) so I really want to talk to my doctor about this but I am unsure of how to approach the issue, I really don't want them to assume I am a drug seeker and refuse to see me anymore. Is there a way I can approach this issue? Thank you!

Symptoms:  Script not lasting long enough

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Adderal is a good drug but many times, like you have experienced, the effect doesn't last for long. Its not an uncommon phenomenon. Also you are right that doctors may presume you to be a drug seeker if you keep seeking extra drug prescriptions. The problem is only with the stimulants like vyanase or adderal.
What I suggest if that, instead of these drugs, you can discuss and ask your doctor for a prescription of bupropion. Bupropion is again a good drug for Adult ADHD and has no abuse potential. This can make your doctor comfortable and then you can gain his confidence as well. Bupropion may help you per se with ADHD, but even if it fails, your doctor will have confidence on you that you are seeking medicines only for your treatment and no other illegal purpose. That may help you in getting the needed medicines.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you in future.

Wish you good health!