Melatonin with pain meds

Patient: Can i take melatonin with hydromorpine and gralise? I have not been sleeping the past few weeks

Symptoms: Not sleeping

Doctor: Hi,Welcome to ATD.Thanks for your query.There are no known drug interactions / advrse effects by using melaton in and hydromorphone or gralise together. They can be taken together but some precautions need to be followed as both( hydromorphone & melatonin) increase drowsiness and sedation.You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications.Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you.I don’t know the cause for your insomnia or the need for opiods, but these are among the best drugs you can get for your symptoms. In addition to the drugs you can also try if possible the following advice:YogaGuided visualization meditationProgressive muscle relaxationDeep breathing exercisesMindfulness meditationExerciseYou can follow any of these methods which helps, depending on you capability and condition. It would be better to consult an Insomnia Expert to know the cause behind your sleeplessness and guide you with the required form of treatment with or without medications.Hope this helps.All the best.