Memory and Brain Function Supplements

Q: I am 35 years old and, over the last couple years, my memory has gotten much worse and I have grown increasingly absent-minded. "Brain fog" is the term that I have read that I think most aptly characterizes what I have been experiencing. I have a very stressful job, and my diet has historically been not very healthy, but I am in good physical health. About 3 months ago, however, I decided to totally revamp my lifestyle in an effort to (i) lose weight (I am 6 ft. tall and was at 196 lbs, which for me, was very high, and was considered "overweight" on all of the bmi scales that I consulted), (ii) gain energy, and (iii) restore my memory and lose the brain fog symptoms that I have been experiencing.

My diet has been picture perfect for the last 3 months (I have been eating tons of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, skim and almond milk, yogurt, etc.), and I am not overeating at all, and, as a result, have lost 19 pounds and am down to a much healthier 177. I am really happy with that and with the increase in energy that I have experienced as a result, but I have not noticed much, if any, difference in the brain fog symptoms that I described above. I have been doing mental exercises (sudoku, memory games, etc.) too, and still have not noticed any difference.

As a next step, I started taking fish oil supplements, ginkgo, and folic acid, but still no results.

Finally, in the last few weeks, I have added vinpocetine and huperzine A (in addition to the fish oil, ginkgo, and folic acid mentioned above, though I have since given up the ginkgo because I have read that it should not be taken with vinpocetine), and finally I am starting to notice some positive changes in my memory issues. I am considering adding some additional dietary supplements, especially phosphatidyl-serine and acetyl-l-carnitine, but am also considering coenzyme q-10, alpha-lipoic acid, DMAE, and green tea extract.

Before doing so, I wanted to check to confirm that taking all of these together is safe.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on this?

I really appreciate your input.