Memory loss and speech problems

Patient

Q: I had a reversible stroke in 2010 due to preeclampsia. Since then, I have been having a lot of problems with my short term memory and my speech isn't right. When I try to talk, sometimes, I can see the words I want to say in my mind, but when it comes out, it sounds like another language, my word are slurred and all jumbled up. I have tried talking to a few doctors here about it, but none will give me any sort of answer or help. Could this be caused from the stroke or could it be something else?

Symptoms:  Memory loss, slurred speech
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

Memory disturbance and speech disturbance are due to brain damage of the stroke. It seems that the stroke that you have had has affected the brocas area and this is the reason that your speech is not clear. Your rest of the brain is fine and hence you are able to formulate your speech but when it comes to delivering the right words, its brocas area of the brain that is responsible. This is called as motor aphasia.
Medicines will not help you much in this regard. Speech therapy will help you further in this regard.
Do meet your doctor.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.