Meniscus Tear

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor:
I have a question for you. Recently I started feeling pain in my knee and every time I bend it, I hear a popping or clicking sound. I went to the doctors about it and got an MRI scan and found out that I have a severe meniscus tear. I made an appointment with a specialist but the appointment isn't for another month and a half. I feel a lot of pain in my knee and don't know what to do till my appointment. What should I do for my knee while waiting.

Symptoms:  Popping or Clicking in Knee
Doctor

Guest: Hello,
Although I am not a doctor I know what you are going through. I have never torn a ligament in my knee before but I have a serious injury in my knee. My friend tore her meniscus twice in two years. What she did to help with the pain before her surgeries was she got an ice machine and iced her knee every day when she got home and woke up, took pain relievers either prescribed or over the counter, stopped using it (get crutches or a wheel chair you may be over using your knee), bed rest with elevated leg, make sure you elevate your leg while icing and all of the time 1 or 2 pillows will be fine too much may hurt, drink plenty of fluids(I know this May sound dumb but it actually helps the swelling go down sometimes also if you are taking medicine be sure to eat right and drink water). I hope this helps and get well soon!