Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Meniscus Tear grade one

Meniscus Tear grade one

Patient: Hi Dear ask Doctor I injured my knee two months ago now my MRI report subtle high intenisty signal in the posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear.its Im resting from one month and twenty five day and physical therapy ten and ultra sound cold pack the pain is gone but if I do any quick move it hurts and my right leg thigh muscles are soft I can feel my thigh bone Its looking very weak I’m mostly in my room dew to the injury should I walk now How much more time it needs to fully heal I don’t know What to do Please help me Thank You

Doctor: Meniscus injuries are a common cause of knee pain; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are re C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia . The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. Based on your imaging report you have a grade 1 meniscus tear, for this kind of lesion, we may expect spontaneous healing  because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. For your grade 1 meniscus tear , most of the times, occurs a successful recovery and  a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Most of grade 1  meniscal tears heal spontaneously and with time and the physical therapy ,  the symptoms tend to improve.