Meniscus tear in knee

Patient : I'm supposed to get an mri on Tuesday to determine if I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. I'm a personal trainer, teach classes, and run trails in my spare time. The pain has come and gone for about 6-8 months now- severe pain, comes out of nowhere, not even when I'm doing an activity. Feels like it locks up and then a few days later it's absolutely gone and can run and work again. Is that normal with a torn meniscus? Should I bother to get the mri since it feels completely normal now?
Symptoms:  no pain now, but a few days ago throbbing pain in my right knee and not able to bend it properly