Menopause

Patient: I had a total hysterectomy when I was 42. I am not on hormone replacement due to severe migraines. I’m now 52, and am experiencing symptoms of menopause. Is this possible?

Doctor: I understand your concern about your menopause symptoms. You will need to make sure if your ovaries were removed when yo u had your total hysterectomy since this operation involves removing both the body of the uterus and the cervix, which is the lower part of the uterus. However sometimes ovaries are removed, in that case the surgery would be called Total hysterectomy plus bilateral oophorectomy.If your ovaries were not removed, then your lack of symptoms would be explained by the maintenance of hormonal production by your ovaries and probably you will be experiencing a late menopause by now. If the symptoms interfere with your daily activities, I would suggest you to consult your gynecologist for a more detailed evaluation and probable therapy.