Menopause and Sexual Activity

Patient: As a 47 year old female experiencing severe hotflashes for the past year, I was wondering if a lack of sexual activity could possibly bring on menopause quicker than would normally happen?

Doctor: For clarification, menopause can be divided into 3 categories:Menopause before the age of 40 can be termed premature m enopause.Menopause between the age of 40 and 45 can be termed early menopause.Menopause after the age of 45 would be considered normal.The age of onset of normal menopause has been shown to be linked to a combination of genetics, age of onset of menses, racial background, prior pregnancies, past breastfeeding history, and climate.A history of obesity, cigarette smoking and plastic surgery have been linked to earlier onset of normal menopause.  Frequency of sexual activity has not been specifically linked to age of menopause but would be difficult to study.Surgical and medical conditions are linked to premature and early menopause.I hope this helps.