Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Menopause related severe excessive sleeping

Menopause related severe excessive sleeping

Patient: I am in terrible physical shape. I weigh about 240 or a bit less. I have back problems and the only exercise i get is going back and forth to the bathroom. I take meds for depression, panic disorder, anxiety (

Symptoms: sleeping 12 to 16 hours per day weeks at a time

Doctor: Menopause is mostly related to sleeplessness rather than excessive sleeping. It is associated with day time sleeping or narcolepsy. Medications for various psychiatric condition could be reason of excessive sleep, as most of the psychiatric drug have sleepiness as side effect. Moreover obesity with minimal activity worsens the condition. Consult a gynecologist in conjunction with a psychiatrist and dietician for further management.