Menopause vitamin supplements for a diabetic woman

Patient

Q: Hi, Can you please advice me on the best vitamin and mineral supplement to take ,as I am menopausal and diabetic . Thank you, Sharon

Doctor

A:    There are several multivitamins that you can find over the counter formulated especially to be taken by post menopausal women, any of those has the RDA of all that you might required. The most important here is to keep adequate levels of calcium to avoid risk of osteoporosis and also keep your blood glucose levels under a tight control to avoid possible diabetes complications. You may also eat foods containing Soy, these have plant-based estrogens or “phytoestrogens” or isoflavones, which may help to replace the lost estrogens and provide relief for symptoms like: hot flashes and night sweats.