x
186 Physicians Online

Question:

Menstrual bleeding and clotting for three plus months straight

My question is, I have been having a really heavy hemraging with clots period for 3 plus months straight.. every time i lift something or cough etc.. it flows right out and i fill a nighttime pad. i had a 2 day break but spotted those 2 days. before this started my period would be late at times but it was always 6 days long then stop on 6th day. i know im not pregnant, i had my tubes tied after i had a c section with my now 7 year old, and have not had intercourse in about 14 months. i have not been to an obgyn only because my insurance was canceled, and i am now waiting for it to kick in again. what do you think this is and should i wait for insurance or should i go to er soon?

Answer:

I would recommend a visit to the ER, since you have been bleeding for 3 months straight, and this bleeding needs to be controlled else it would make you severely anemic and may cause other health problems due to blood loss like shock. The cause of the bleed needs to be investigated in detail through gynecologic examination and ultrasound, blood tests and if necessary other investigative procedures may follow. It may be due to fibroid, polyp, endometriosis or polycyctic ovarian disease or a tumour.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA