Menstrual cycle abnormal

Q: For the past year my cycle have been off and on. For example i can be on my period for months at a time, than be off two week or less and come right back on. What can i do, and I am trying to have a baby in the near future. Is there somethig wrong with me

A:   Hello I realize your worry about irregular menstrual cycle during the past year. Let me reassure you that many irregular menstruation cycles might be considered normal at a certain point; however they should be studied with more detail, especially if they interfere with pregnancy.An irregular period is any type of bleeding that is abnormal when compared to your usual menstrual cycle. This can include a late period, an early period or bleeding between periods. It can also appear as particularly heavy bleeding (menorrhagia) or scanty bleeding. Many women also experience irregular periods in the form of a missed period, continuous periods, or periods that occur twice in one cycle.Overall, the cause of irregular periods can be resumed to be due to Hormonal imbalance. Stress is a common cause of irregular periods. If you are fatigued, worried, or anxious this can cause your hormones to become unbalanced. Also a poor diet or extreme weight loss or gain can also affect your hormones as well as intense exercise could be some common conditions that might alter your hormonal balance. My suggestion would be for you to consult your Gynecologist as a more detailed study and examination and probable hormonal level screening might be needed to rule out the exact diagnosis. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome might need to be ruled out as well since as this could also be affecting your Menses, I wish you the best