Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Menstrual irregularities – prolonged periods

Menstrual irregularities – prolonged periods

Patient: I’m a 21 year old girl and lately my period has been out of whack, last month it lasted the whole month now this month i just started it again. i’m scared what is wrong with me??

Doctor: I do understand your concern for excessive and prolonged periods. Menstrual irregularities can be caused by many differe nt factors. Hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalance, or a pelvic pathology may all lead to prolonged bleeding. The best next step in the management in your case would be to see your gynecologist for an internal examination and lab- work. A complete blood count, pelvic ultrasound, thyroid levels may be required to make a diagnosis.