Menthol patch use during pregnancy

Patient : Is ok to use method patch on leg pain during pregnancy?
Symptoms:  Leg pain
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com Menthol patches are used for joint or leg pains and work on the mecha nism and principle of counter irritation which relieves pain. It is not advisable to use it if you are under 14 weeks of gestation as the safety trials for menthol per se in pregnancy have not be satisfactory. Also , the initial first trimester is meant for the organ formation of the fetus and hence besides folic acid and multivitamins(optional) , no other medications should be taken. you may use hot fomentation locally to relieve pain if required. However in late trimester it may be used with safety. Also it is not secreted in breast milk, so safe during lactation as well. I hope i have answered your query in detail. wishing you safe pregnancy , regards