Metatarsal Fracture treated by open reduction

Q: During a soccer game I fractured my 5th metatarsal bone in my right foot. They did an open reduction with internal fixation surgery almost 3 months ago and my bone is still broken and has not healed at all, well from what we can see on the x-rays. I just want to know is there anything that could be preventing my bone from healing? And should I get an MRI so see further into my injury?

A:    There are several factors that may prevent a fracture from healing, but the most important, after an open reduction is to keep support and to prevent movement so the fracture can heal. If after 6-8 weeks of relative rest and immobilization of the toe, you continue feeling pain it is recommended to get a consultation with your physician. Remember that even after recovery of the fracture, that toe may be vulnerable to fracture if you put it under the same stress again. You doctor will tell you how many weeks more you will have the cast (if you are wearing any) and when you can begin the weight-bearing in that foot, according to the x-rays during your follow up visits.