Meth and pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this as its weighing heavily on me.

I never had periods on a regular basis so i didnt think anything of it when i didnt have any for awhile. I found out im pregnant a month ago and i am now 17 weeks pregnant. I was using meth regularly (possibly heavily) for a couple of months. The drug is very new to me as i had not done it until a few months ago so honestly, im not sure how much i did or if i was using heavily. I smoked for a few days then would take a break for a couple days. I also was shooting the drug here and there for a couple of weeks on and off until i found out i was pregnant. I am clean now and i will never touch the drug again as i have brought so much pain and confusion into my life with the choices i made. I have not been to the OB as i was planning on having an abortion. I scheduled the procedure twice and i could not in right concious follow thru with it. Its weighing heavily on me as im not in a great point in my life to have a baby, but i have done some soul searching and found that i cannot ingood conscious end my pregnancy. My main concerne is how much damage i have done to the baby and will it be highly affected from my horrible choices.? Im scared of having a child that is born with issues related to the drug and i dont know much about the affects i have caused with my choices. I was considering adoption but im also worried to give someone a child that has problems or disabilities because of the drug use. Im scared to bring a child into the world because i feel like life is hard enough as is without being born with pre existing issues someone (me) else created for it. I dont know what to do and im sorry this is so long. i just want to find strait up answers from anyone that may know about such issues. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Doctor

It is unfortunate that you have had an unplanned pregnancy while on drugs that harm you and your baby. The drug can cause fetal growth retardation and placental insufficiency which can lead to a premature delivery. It can cause some amount of respiratory depression and abnormal brain development rarely .
It is recommended that you consult a gynecologist at the earliest and go in for an anamoly scan. If the scan is normal, then you can continue the pregnancy and expect a normal child. If abnormal, you can still opt to terminate the pregnancy on grounds of a valid reason that you have.

We wish you all the best and pray that the baby is safe.