Methanol Exposure - What Are Precautions I Need To Take?

Patient : I was exposed to methanol about 5 hours ago. I got some on my hands for about a minute, and i also inhaled some. should i be worried?
Doctor :   Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, is a clear, colourless flammable liquid. Methanol toxicity has been most often l inked to ingestion (drinking) of the chemical. People who ingest the chemical must receive medical attention immediately. The most  common way that workers may be exposed to methanol at the work site is by inhaling methanol vapours or by absorption through the skin (either by contact with methanol or its vapours or with methanol-contaminated clothing). A significant amount of methanol can be absorbed through the skin, causing the same health effects as with inhalation, including blindness and optic nerve damage. Drowsiness, coma and death have also been reported, depending on the amount of exposure. If you experience irritation of the eyes (problems with vision) or skin and have difficulty in breathing, nausea or vomiting, I would suggest that you go to the ER immediately.  

Related Q&A

Q: I have a fever on thurday i took advil to prevent and then on friday night I have problem of frequent urination

Q: Looking for only a urologist Dr KUMAR to answer this So as a recap in mid December, she developed an ecoli uti. It...

Q: I think I have a UTI. I am on Accutance 10 mg/per day. Is there a safe antibiotic to take?

Q: 85 year old female. Has ostomy bag (bladder removed 20 years ago). Patient has had chronic UTIs in the last 6 month...

Q: Hi i have been diagnosed with e coli in my urine.I have had problems passing urine and also have a bloated feeling in...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews