Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Methods to improve lipid levels

Methods to improve lipid levels

Patient: I want to know my how to decrese ldl cholesterol and reduce liver fuction ast,alt

Doctor: Your cholesterol levels as well as your liver function tests are elevated. While your hdl levels are ok, it is the LDL l evels that concern me. While I notice that exercise and diet has helped decrease the level of LDL there is more that you could do. In terms of exercise you need to engage in any form of cardiovascular or aerobic exercise like jogging, fast walking, swimming etc for atleast 30-60 mins/day for atleast 4-7 days a week. You can start off slowly and then increase as you get more accustomed to it. In terms of healthy eating you need to increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables along with fish intake. These help reducing the levels of ldl cholesterol . You need to decrease the intake of red meat and also the chicken liver. Any visceral meats ( like liver ) are high in cholesterol and should be avoided. You should also increase you intake of nuts like almonds and walnuts. Typically your diet should include >25-35 g of fibre/day, less than 30% of your caloric intake daily should come from fat and less than 10% from saturated fats. In case you are overweight you also need to decrease your weight to have a healthy BMI of 20-25.In terms of your liver function tests your levels either may indicate a liver tissue damage either due to an infection,medication induced damage, alcoholic liver cirrhosis or some form a of obstruction . For this you need to consult your physician for further indepth examination and tests like hepatitis screen, bilirubin levels, ultrasound of the abdomen etc.